We talked about many different topics in class today, one of those being the concept of American boyhood. I just think it is so funny how different boys and girls are raised in America. Boys are expected to be devious, cunning, and charming while girls are expected to be prim, proper, and passive. On page 315, Aunt Polly says, "...man that is born of woman is of few days and full of trouble, as the Scripture says, and I reckon it's so." Parents almost encourage boys to be naughty and laugh it off if they do something wrong.
Another topic we discussed was the difference between country and city boys in nineteenth century America. City boys were exposed to a much harsher world than country boys, as we discussed and country boys could be doing the same things (like lying, stealing, etc.) and still be viewed as more innocent. Ragged Dick even worked as a honest man in the city, but yet readers still like Tom Sawyer more because they view him as more of a child. Tom Sawyer proved to be cunning, but lazy, especially when he persuades his friends to do his work for him. (page 328). Dick's work ethic was so much more honorable than Tom's tendency to try and get out of anything he was obligated to do. I loved Tom as a character, but I think it is frustrating with how America has the double standard for little boys and little girls.
Tuesday, November 3, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I definitely agree with you that little boys seem to be subliminally taught to be mischievous and that their parents usually then just laugh it off when their boys are bad! A little girl’s education does seem to be more direct, as in they are told that Bibles are good or that being pretty is very important. I like that you mentioned this, it really made me think!
ReplyDeleteI agree with you when you say that america has a double standard for little boys and girls. We expect girls to be prim and proper and to be flawless, but we expect boys to be mischievous and kind of manipulative. I also like how you compare Tom and Ragged Dick, because like you said we like Tom better due to his childish actions even though Ragged Dick was a much harder worker.
ReplyDeleteBoys will be boys is the saying that sums up what we have been talking about in both novels. I like how you mentioned that it is almost expected for boys of a young age to act the way that do. Now that I am somewhat older, I can connect with what we are saying because I lived it and realize it is now true. And people look back at that part of childhood and envy it, that is why Twain writes these books i suppose. Good job!
ReplyDeleteThe quote you used from page 315, "...man that is born of woman is of few days and full of trouble, as the Scripture says," was one of my favorites. I also agree that the noticable difference between girls and boys is pretty frustrating,
ReplyDeleteI think Tom is held in higher reguards then Dick because, as a society, we don't like to think of children working. We feel their innocence is lost the moment they are working in a factory or on the streets. They are viewed as having more adult attributes then childlike ones.
ReplyDelete