Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Little Boys and Little Girls in Literature

The roles between little girls and little boys in nineteenth century literature are drastically different, especially when it comes to how society wishes to see these roles. American boys are meant to be mischievous and funny and rough around the edges, while American girls are meant to be refined and classy and moral. Authors picked up on this phenomenon and recognized that there are gender differences when it comes to raising children. Especially when it comes to religion, girls are supposed to be fully knowledgable about the Bible, but "boys will be boys" so if they don't study it every night it is not a big deal. Even in Ragged Dick, when asked if Dick reads the Bible he responds, "No...I've heard it's a good book, but I never read one. I ain't much on reading" (page 303). I can almost bet you that not one person in the reading audience questioned the fact that he never read the Bible, but in every book about little girls we have read thus far, religion is of utmost importance. Leaders in American society wanted the world to view us as a rags to riches type of place; you could come to America and make something for youself out of nothing (the typcial American Dream). But just like any other fairy tale, it's not as easy as it sounds. I also find it funny that Ragged Dick did have flaws-lying, playing practical jokes, etc.- but the audience still loved him. If Ellen Montgomery didn't make her toast perfectly then she would have be reprimanded. Society views boys as people who are born the way they are and can't be changed, and little girls are meant to be taught the morals. These differences provide readers today with a lot of information with how the world, and American society, has changed.

5 comments:

  1. Ashley, I really liked that you tied in the religion differences between young boy and young girls because they are so drastically different when reading about them. Also, the part you wrote about rags to riches and how in this time era that is exactly what people thought of America, that it was a place to come over and start fresh for a better life. great post!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like whatt you said about how society generally accepts the fact that "boys will be boys" and people never really challenge that idea. It hasn't been until recently that girls are somewhat more able to do other things that they want to, instead of being like traditional girls that we read about. Good job, and ideas, and blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your comment about how the audience probably didn't think anything of Dick not knowing the Bible is something I haven't thought of. When I read this something perked up in my mind but I really didn't think about it. Great point!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like what you said about how its without question that girls should read the bible. They really didn't know anything different than the Bible, and they were expected to have a relationship with Christ. It also definitely struck me that he didn't really even know what the Bible was, because being a girl I have known no different.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I find is funny as well that he had all his flaws, yet it never crossed my mind not to like him. I want to see him succeed. I want him to make that transition from rags to riches, but yes, it is true, it isn't as easy as it seems. We know that now, but in literature it never seems to be portrayed that way.

    ReplyDelete