Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Uncle Tom's Cabin

How does a text based on the institution of slavery complicate these theories and ideas? I believe that a text based on the institution of slavery complicates the basic theories of children literature's by contradicting all normal themes of hope and happiness found in those stories like The Wide, Wide World or Rip Van Winkle. It shows children the dark side to life that usually only adults experience. Children, I think, would have been both shocked and upset by the idea that the world isn't always candy coated. The dehumanizing act of slavery does in fact go against all the messages we are trying to teach children, especially when it comes to faith and family, since slavery is both non-Christian (contrary to the belief at the time) and tears families apart. What I make of this though is that children look at the horrors of slavery and see what they do NOT want to do. So in essence, it is teaching children how to live their life, by telling them what not to do. While it isn't told inexplicably in the text, it is assumed because children understand what it would be like to have to been taken from their parents, or sold off like cattle to a "master". In the text, on page 105 of Uncle Tom's Cabin, Uncle Tom reprimands the children for wishing evil against their tormentors, and tells them to pray for them. The children readers see here that forgiveness that is so prominent in Christian faith, and can learn from that. I think that while it goes against all typical structure of a children's novel, it essentially still teaches children. While it is more of a reverse way of teaching, it may be a more effective way because they see the consequence and the other side of the matter.

5 comments:

  1. Your post really made me think about how this novel is really based on the dark adult experiences and not necessarily based on what the children's actions are. I do believe this has a lot to do with why this novel contradicts all previous theories about children's literature! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree on your point of what the story told children not to do. That's what history is all about and that's what makes this book so special. Not only did it inspire America's greatest war to take place, it still teaches people today that slavery is wrong and the story will never go away.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you may have hit the nail on the head. This book seemed more based on "factual" happenings rather than some of our previous texts. I think the children of the 19th century needed something extreme like Uncle Tom's Cabin to open their eyes...likewise with the rest of the nation--hence the Civil
    War.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a fantastic post! I hadn't really even considered that Stowe's didactic purpose was teaching children/adults how not to live. While all the other texts we have read thus far have been directed at a particular message the author wants us to strive for, here comes Stowe pulling a 180 on us saying "Hey, this is bad. Learn from it".

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great blog, Ashley! I also hadn't considered that Stowe was trying to teach children how not to act or behave. Though different from the didatic purposes of other texts we've come across, a lesson is still being taught in how not to act. I think that was a very important lesson for society at the time.

    ReplyDelete