Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Role of Parents

The text encourages us to view the role of parents as something that is very structured and set. Mothers are supposed to care for the children and fathers are supposed to provide for the family, even if it means never being home. And in this particular novel, The Wide, Wide World, Ellen, the child, is considered a parental figure as well even though she is only eight years old. She has to care for her ill mother and that can take a toll on a child. She has more responsibilities than most children because she does not have the option to go out and play because she must be the "Nurse" for her mom. The novel does stress the importance of parental roles, because it is essentially the glue that holds a family together, especially in the nineteenth century. The text clearly divides the roles of mothers versus fathers and it illustrates how the world was when Ellen is growing up in the story. Mrs. Montgomery, even if she wasn't sick, is expected to remain at home and raise her child because that's just the way things are. And Mr. Montgomery is rarely mentioned or seen in the story, which symbolizes the fact that fathers were never really around. They had to make money for the family, and if that meant never being home then so be it. I consider Mr. Montgomery to be very neglecting towards his daughter, and I don't necessarily think it was uncommon back then for fathers to not know their children. On page 75 Warner says, "She (Mrs. Montgomery) understood far better than her husband what Ellen's feelings were, and could interpret much more truly then he the signs of them..." In this one sentence, the reader is plainly told that the mother knows her child inside and out, verbally and nonverbally, and the father knows nothing about her. Ellen perceives her parents as people she aspires to be, mostly her mother for her courage, faith in God, and undying love for her. She sees them as teachers, even friends, and she expects the roles of the father and mother in her family. She expects the father to never be around and she expects the mother to be the primary caretaker. But even still, Ellen thinks that her own rol ein te family is normal, she thinks all children help out their mothers as much as she does whch is simply not true because Ellen has much more responsibility than any 8 year old in her time or circumstance. Even in the laborious task of fixing her mother tea and toast she claims, " It was a real pleasure; she had the greatest satisfaction..she knew her hands made it better..." (26.) She has no clue that what she does for her mother, the way she cares for her mother, is almost a role reversal because normally the mother does that for her child. Poor Ellen had to grow up too fast and play the role of "mother"and "nurse" in the household because of her circumstance and I think she broke towards the end because of it (even though we don't know the real ending).

4 comments:

  1. Ashley, I really like the way you focused on the conflict between Ellen's childish nature and her mature responsibilities. To be honest, as I read I only thought of Ellen as a miniature adult. After reading your post I can clearly see the suppressed child within her. Great Job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Ashley!
    I really enjoyed the ideas your portrayed in your blog. I really enjyed the passage you chose from page 75 regarding Mrs. Montgomery's view of her daughter versus Mr. Montgomery. I think it really got the point across that Mr. Montgomery had no attachment emotoionally or physically to his own daughter. I like how you said that Ellen was clueless to the fact that her mother and she had a reversal of roles because although I picked up on that I never though about how Ellen was oblivious to this.
    Great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ashley,
    I like how you referred to Ellen as the "glue" of the family. It is so true because she is the one taking care of her ill mother and holding everything together for the both of them. It is also very interesting how you bring up the point about fathers not being very interactive back in those days, because captain montgomery definitely proves that idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome blog, Ashley! I agree with you about Ellen having to grow up too fast. Being 8 years old and having to take care of your mother, and not having a father figure in your life is probably going to result in some major issues. I also agree that father's weren't very interactive back in the time the story was set, and Captain Montgomery definitely fits in that norm.

    ReplyDelete